Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect

There are many potential gases that may exist in your house. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors released from household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But none of these gases are as hazardous as carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is scary and may even be a matter of life and death, so it should not be treated lightly. What is extremely concerning is that it is hard to detect because it is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can manuveur its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on how big the leak is and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can become fatal in a matter of minutes, or the toxic gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things.

It is important to not risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some recommended action items to protect yourself and your family:

  1. If you do not have a working carbon monoxide detector in your home, call Rolf Griffin Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Fort Wayne to purchase one. Ask us about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect.
  2. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, don’t forget to check the batteries on a regular basis. Testing should be done every 90 days, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years.
  3. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or start to have flu-like symptoms, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps you can protect your family from its dangers. Take the necessary steps and call Rolf Griffin Service Experts in Fort Wayne at 260-557-1275 to learn more.