Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing odd noises when your air conditioner is running? There’s likely something wrong with your system. If you don’t pay attention to it, it could lead to major—and expensive—troubles down the road. We’re going to help you find out what’s going on with your air conditioner and what you can do to correct it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling – Gurgling usually indicates an issue with your refrigerant line. If you can’t determine where the noise is coming from, that’s alright. A technician can help verify where this noise is occurring.
- Crackling – Crackling could be due to debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will create a noise outside your house. Old ductwork can cause noise inside your house.
- Hissing – Hissing sounds coming from your AC can be caused by a leaky refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor.
- Buzzing – Buzzing is likely an electrical issue.
- Clicking – Clicking can hint you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned.
- Pulsating – Pulsating can come from a loose part.
- Loud Noise – A clear noise from your external unit can signal an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler.
- Humming – Humming can begin with fan motor issues or a damaged relay switch. Head to our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find more information about prevalent air conditioning problems on energy.gov
Should I keep using my air conditioner when it’s making a noise?
There are a few cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It’s hard to answer this question without inspecting your system.
Usually, we recommend turning the unit off and calling a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you recognize there’s a problem with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected expense, it’s best to get problems taken care of right away. Calling a professional could help lower future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please schedule online for a free, in-home consultation.
Zoning Systems: Control the Temperature in Every Room
Central heating and air systems have transformed home comfort and made it possible to stay wonderfully comfy in any season or climate. Yet, while centralized systems are a simple way to regulate the temperature, they occasionally fall short when it comes to evenly distributing heated or cooled air... Continue reading
Eight Upgrades to Boost Your Home HVAC System
During the chilly days and nights in the U.S., there’s no better way to increase your home’s comfort than with easy and effective upgrades. It’s not simply about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about enhancing efficiency and cleaning the very air you... Continue reading
How to Choose an Effective HVAC System
In terms of keeping your home comfortable during every season, nothing is more critical than picking out the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This determination impacts your daily comfort, monthly utility bills and general home efficiency. But, with so many system... Continue reading