When bad weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair expert to check your system post-storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your preparations were worth the time.
At Rolf Griffin Service Experts , we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time likely will not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets tossed around during threatening weather. Just make sure you have turned the system fully off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a safe place so that they don’t get strewn about during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to head outside, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Rolf Griffin Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and decide whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Fort Wayne, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other issues that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for severe weather in Fort Wayne or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 260-557-1275 or schedule an appointment with Rolf Griffin Service Experts through our online scheduler.