When bad weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair professional to check your system post-storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your prep were worth the time.
At Rolf Griffin Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time likely will not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets thrown around during threatening weather. Just be sure you have turned the system fully off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a secure place so that they don’t get strewn about during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to head outdoors, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Rolf Griffin Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Fort Wayne, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other issues that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for bad weather in Fort Wayne or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with Rolf Griffin Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.