One of the most basic problems that we encounter at Rolf Griffin Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Fort Wayne is dirty air filters. They might seem like a very insignificant piece of the big home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us control comfort is a lot bigger than most homeowners realize. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a filthy air filter can cause a host of problems for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you neglect to switch out your air filter? Here are a just a couple of the side effects you could encounter:
- Diminished airflow. This is easily the greatest issue you’ll note when your home’s air filter is badly clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being swapped out, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this hinders air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working quite a bit harder to provide you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is operating harder because of a dirty air filter, you also run the risk of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s working overtime to leave you with cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a threat if your air filter goes unchanged for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something quits working or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off excessively. When your system short cycles, it could overheat or break down from the added work, which could end up causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A shorter equipment lifecycle
- Lower energy efficiency
- Diminished air quality
- More dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last changed your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to avert any potential damage that may come with a clogged air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the variety of air filters we carry, give Rolf Griffin Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning a call at 260-557-1275 or schedule an appointment online.