Carbon monoxide connects to red blood cells, robbing your body of the oxygen it has to have to survive. It blends with these cells nearly 200 times more smoothly than oxygen, creating a condition known as carboxyhemoglobin saturation.
Carbon monoxide, instead of oxygen, then gets taken to the important organs by the bloodstream. In short, carbon monoxide starves your body of oxygen. Organs have to have oxygen; when they lack it, they begin to suffocate.
Your body requires a long time to get rid of carbon monoxide; however, it can be taken in much more rapidly.