What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas. It’s produced by incomplete fuel combustion usually caused by insufficient oxygen. In your house, appliances that need natural gas, charcoal, wood or kerosene are at risk. Especially if they are not working correctly or have been installed improperly.

Vehicle exhaust fumes from neighboring garages, as well as fireplaces that aren’t working right may also create carbon monoxide. CO is dangerous to the body and is fatal at high levels or with prolonged exposure.